The holiday season is upon us. For many people, that means traveling to spend time with family and friends. While you’re preparing for the joyful journey, don’t forget to protect your oral health away from home. Traveling can disrupt your daily dental routine, but with a little preparation, you can ensure your smile stays merry and bright throughout the holidays. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Pack Your Dental Essentials
Before you hit the road or board that flight, make sure your dental essentials are at the top of your packing list. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste: Opt for a travel-sized toothbrush and toothpaste to save space and ensure you can brush your teeth no matter where you are.
- Dental Floss: Floss is an essential tool for maintaining good oral health. Pack some dental floss or floss picks to keep your smile healthy.
- Mouthwash: Travel-sized mouthwash can help keep your breath fresh, especially during long journeys.
- Chewing Gum or Mints: Sugar-free gum or mints can be an easy way to freshen your breath. They can also stimulate saliva production when you don’t have a chance to brush.
- Maintain Your Oral Hygiene Routine
Even when you’re traveling, try to stick to your regular oral hygiene routine as closely as possible. Brush twice a day for two minutes, and floss once a day. If you’re on the road, take a few extra minutes to find a restroom where you can brush and floss comfortably.
Keeping up with these habits will ensure you avoid cavities or gum infections while you are away from home. It reduces your need for restorative procedures or more involved treatments when you return.
- Choose Healthy Snacks
Holiday travel often involves lots of snacking. Whenever possible, choose teeth-friendly snacks like raw vegetables like celery or carrots, crunchy fruits like apples, cheese, and nuts and seeds. All of these foods boost your oral health and strengthen your teeth. Limit how much sugary and acidic foods and drinks you indulge in, as these can contribute to tooth decay and gum problems. While it’s tough, especially with all the holiday delicacies around you, you’ll be glad you’ve done your part to protect your oral health.
- Stay Hydrated
Throughout your holiday trip, make sure you drink plenty of water. This is especially important if you’re on a long flight or road trip. Staying hydrated helps maintain saliva production, which is crucial for protecting your teeth from decay and infection. Avoid sugary beverages as your choice of hydration. That only increases your risk for cavities. Stick with water. If you find that too bland, consider adding in sliced fruit to make it tastier.
- Maintain Regular Dental Appointments
If your holiday plans allow for it, make sure you schedule a dental check-up before or after your trip. We’ll ensure your oral health is in good condition and do a professional cleaning. You’ll feel confident in knowing your smile is in top condition, so you can enjoy your time away from home.
By following these oral health tips, you can protect your smile while traveling during the holiday season. Schedule an appointment at Willes Dental by calling 760-576-2214 for our Encinitas, CA office or 760-477-0338 for our Escondido, CA location. You also can contact us online.