Beginning your journey towards a more confident smile is an exciting step. While the transformative process unfolds, it’s important to practice good oral hygiene while wearing clear aligners. Staying diligent keeps harmful bacteria away from your aligners. Today, we wanted to share a few dos and don’ts to remember. These tips will ensure your teeth stay healthy and vibrant. After all, a beautiful smile is not just about appearance, it’s about health too.
There are a few dental habits you want to maintain with aligners throughout the duration of your treatment. These are common routines you probably already had before you even started wearing them:
- Brush your teeth thoroughly. Make sure to use a soft brush bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Brush for at least two minutes long.
- Rinse well with fluoride mouthwash. In between meals, consider rinsing with a fluoride-based mouthwash to freshen your breath and give your enamel a boost.
- Floss carefully. Food can get trapped between your teeth if you don’t brush between meals and before putting your aligners back in. Make sure you floss regularly to keep your teeth from developing cavities and other issues.
- Insert clean aligners. Before putting your aligners back in, make sure to clean them with a gentle soap. There are kinds specifically made for aligners, so use that instead of toothpaste.
Then, you also have things you don’t want to do. These habits can put your aligners at risk for damage or increase your own chance for getting cavities or other issues. Make sure you don’t:
- Wear your aligners if sipping anything but water. Whether it’s coffee, tea, or a glass of milk, remove your aligners before drinking your beverage. Otherwise, the liquid can seep underneath the aligner and cause problems.
- Eat with your aligners on. While this may go without saying, make sure you take off your aligners for a meal. Even if it’s a liquid-based meal such as a smoothie or soup, it can harm your teeth if the food gets trapped in your aligner.
- Store your aligners out in the open. When you take out your aligner, make sure you store it in your tray. Placing it in a napkin or in the open air can accumulate bacteria.
- Ignore cracks. If you have cracks or your aligners look warped, make sure you visit us for an appointment. It could be damaged. Misshapen aligners are ineffective.
- Skip appointments. We regularly need to see you for checkups every six weeks or so. It ensures you are progressing smoothly and you aren’t experiencing any problems.
Staying on top of your oral hygiene while wearing clear aligners will keep your smile healthy after treatment. By incorporating the tips, you’re not only working towards the perfect alignment, but also ensuring the longevity and vitality of your teeth. Consistency in oral hygiene, regular check-ups, and a mindful approach to your day-to-day routine, will ultimately lead to a radiant smile.
For more personalized tips, make sure you give us a call to set up an appointment or speak with our team. Schedule an appointment at Willes Dental by calling 760-576-2214 for our Encinitas, CA office or 760-477-0338 for our Escondido, CA location. You also can contact us online.